Posted: 18 February, 2021
We hope that as Scottish Rowing members, friends, and volunteers – you are keeping safe and well and are looking forward to getting back on the water, back to rowing.
We know that the Scottish Rowing community is strong and keen to come together again when it is safe to do so. We all – staff, competitors, organisers, volunteers, coaches - miss the fun and excitement of competition.
Photo credit: Ron Wallace
Thanks to those of you who completed our member’s survey – some key points helped to frame our thinking.
- The majority of respondents are not where they would normally be in terms of race readiness:
- We need to give people time to build up their fitness and time in boats.
- Respondents are much more confident about taking part in competition at all levels as the year goes on:
- We should look at extending competition opportunities into mid / late summer.
- ‘Clubs going to competition’ is the main factor in an individual’s choice of competition:
- We need to work closely with clubs to help facilitate a return to competition.
Please be reassured that we are working on plans for competition in 2021 – looking at options for the Scottish Rowing events and how best to support local and club volunteers to organise more local events.
The Scottish Rowing Regatta Organising Committee is reviewing the two main Scottish Rowing events - the Scottish Rowing Spring Regatta and the Scottish Rowing Championships - due to be held in April and June respectively. At this stage we are still planning to run two national events – but are looking to extend the calendar later into the summer (July, August, September) to give us more options.
Please see the points below for a summary of the current position :
- We know that restrictions will start to lift but will lift slowly. Your feedback suggested that many of you would not feel ready to compete in national competition over the next couple of months and as such we can confirm that :
- the Scottish Rowing Winter Challenge, (27th / 28th March ) has been cancelled
- we have also taken the decision to cancel the Scottish Rowing Spring Regatta on the 24th / 25th April
- The organising committee is looking at options for an event on the Scottish Rowing Championships weekend of 5th/6th June – this is unlikely to be the usual Scottish Rowing Championships but at this stage – we are still looking at options.
- A new date is being considered for another event run by Scottish Rowing later in the summer.
- In addition, we know that competition opportunities at club and local level will be key to rebuilding the competition pathway and preparing for national events. We will:
- work with clubs and event organisers to support further events at local / club level;
- host discussions / workshops to chat through models for events and help with communication to promote events;
- continue to offer challenges for individuals, teams and clubs; and
- continue our work with sportscotland to develop COVID competition guidance that is specific to and workable for rowing events.
If you are interested in working with us to help us deliver competition in 2021, please contact Fiona Rennie (Fiona.email@example.com).
The future is not cancelled, and brighter times lie ahead.
‘Tomorrow will be a good day’ … Captain Sir Tom Moore …