• 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8

Covid-19 Update: Scottish Rowing Championships and Main Season Regattas 2020

Posted: 3 April 2020

It is with regret that we announce the cancellation of the 2020 Scottish Rowing Championships scheduled for 5-7 June.  We do not propose to reschedule the Championships this year.  We have taken this decision in the light of the current restrictions that are in place to stop the spread of Covid-19 and the recent indications from the UK and Scottish Governments that these are likely to continue for some time.

The Scottish Rowing Championships is an aspirational event that athletes build towards throughout the season and the decision to cancel was not taken lightly.  However it is important at this time that the focus of athletes, coaches and volunteers is on their own health and wellbeing and that of those close to them and we do not feel it is appropriate to postpone the event and put pressure on athletes to prepare for this level of competition while operating under the current restrictions.

We are however looking at the possibility of running a post lockdown event later in the year with the emphasis on fun racing for all to bring the Scottish rowing community back together and celebrate the sport we love.  There is still a high degree of uncertainty, so if and when such an event takes place will be dependent on how the coronavirus situation progresses.  We will continue to monitor this and provide updates where appropriate.

In addition to the cancellation of the Scottish Rowing Championships, we have been in contact with all clubs with events planned between now and the end of June and can confirm that the following events are also cancelled.

Clyde Power Sprints                                    18th April

Scottish Rowing Spring Regatta                  25/26th April

Glasgow Summer Regatta                           2nd May

North East Regatta                                       9th May

Castle Semple Regatta                                16th May

The Nithsdale Regatta is currently scheduled for the 27th June.  This event is still under review and a decision will be made by the 15th May.