Development Rowing Coach: University of Glasgow
- Reference Number: 031499
- Location: Gilmorehill Campus / Main Building
- College / Service: UNIVERSITY SERVICES
- Department: ECS - SPORT
- Job Family: Management Professional & Administrative
- Position Type: Full Time
- Salary Range: £23,067
Responsibility for the planning, organisation and delivery of rowing technical sessions, liaising with multi-disciplinary support service staff to support the overall programme objectives set by the UofG Sport Rowing Programme Lead (GUBC Head Coach) and Scottish Rowing.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Work with the Rowing Programme Lead (GUBC Head Coach) to deliver the Glasgow University Boat Club (GUBC) annual programme with a particular focus on the development of athletes to Great Britain (GB) Under 23 level.
- Responsible for the delivery of high performance coaching to University rowing athletes. This includes managing a squad of athletes to maximise performances at key events including GB trials, BUCS, Henley and other national and international competitions.
- Work with multi-disciplinary support service staff (including strength & conditioning, physiotherapy, physiology) within the University and the sportscotland institute of sport to maximise athlete performance and improve general robustness.
- Act as a key contact for GUBC, dealing with enquiries from students, regularly communicating with all coaches and committee members within the GUBC programme, Scottish Rowing and sportscotland to ensure that all partners are working towards the same outcomes
Responsible for the planning, organisation and administration of key events (e.g. Scottish Boat Race).
- This will involve extensive communication with staff at a number of levels, from National Governing Bodies (NGBs)
- Lead on the implementation of standards set out in the sportscoachUK / Scottish Rowing code of conduct for coaches.
- Assist the Rowing Programme Lead (GUBC Head Coach) and GUBC Committee in performing risk assessments and safety checks, including capsize drills.
- Responsible for the safeguarding and well-being of the athletes and provide a good role model for the athletes
Ensure that all exercise areas are maintained in line with the University’s health, safety and hygiene standards; this includes responsibility for equipment maintenance and repair.
- Where required, assist the Rowing Programme Lead (GUBC Head Coach) and GUBC Committee in the administration of the club programme.
- Responsible for writing and updating news and reports for relevant committees and to aid with boat club marketing reach.
- Undertake CPD opportunities as part of a support and development package delivered as a partnership between the University of Glasgow, Scottish Rowing and sportscotland to provide the candidate with every opportunity to develop into a world class coach in the future.
Closing Date: 13 January 2020