Posted: December 7, 2017
Scottish Rowing is the Governing Body for rowing in Scotland. Its vision is to support and empower people in Scotland to enjoy rowing and achieve their potential. To achieve this vision it has put in place an ambitious new four year plan to build on the recognised Olympic success of rowing and widen access to the sport at all levels.
Scottish Rowing is now seeking to appoint a Finance Director to join its voluntary Board of Directors. This is an exciting opportunity for the right person to get involved in shaping the future of rowing in Scotland.
The Finance Director will provide strategic leadership and direction over the Company’s financial affairs, delivering assurance of the financial health of its operations and ensuring the integrity of financial information sent to the Board and where necessary, external parties such as investors or financial institutions.
The Board meets up to eight times each year including the AGM and planning days. The successful candidate should also expect to commit up to 2-3 hours per month for communication with the Chief Operating Officer and other staff as required.
The post is accountable to the membership of Scottish Rowing through the Board of Directors, with a direct report to the President of Scottish Rowing as required.
The term of office for this post is three years.
In addition to the general duties and responsibilities of a Director, the Finance Director will:
- Act as the Lead for the Board on all financial matters
- Ensure financial reporting to the Board is robust, timely and enables the Directors to understand and monitor the financial performance of the business
- Take the strategic lead in ensuring robust financial analysis is provided to the Board to support strategic planning and decision making.
- Work with the COO to ensure that appropriate financial policies and procedures are in place.
- Work with the COO to ensure that the Company meets all statutory and regulatory finance requirements including pensions, taxation and VAT.
- Chair such sub-committees of the Board as a deemed necessary and appropriate
- Demonstrable finance experience, ideally with a recognised accountancy qualification.
- Awareness of pensions, VAT and taxation regulations with particular regard to small businesses.
- Ability to build and maintain strong, transparent relationships with key stakeholders.
- Ability to support, challenge and manage a relationship with other Board Members.
- Experience of operating at a senior level in a strategic capacity.
- Knowledge of the funding structures for sport in Scotland and within the UK.
- Experience as a Director, Trustee or Committee Member in a commercial, charitable or public sector context.
Please send your CV and a covering letter supporting your application in confidence marked for the attention of Martin Claxton, President, Scottish Rowing, Scottish Rowing Centre, 366 Hamilton Road, Motherwell ML1 3ED or alternatively by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Scottish Rowing is committed to appointing solely on the basis of candidates’ ability to do the job for which they are being recruited, and welcomes applications from all sections of the community.
For further information about Scottish Rowing please visit our website: www.scottish-rowing.org.uk
This vacancy is not open to anyone who has been disqualified from holding a Directorship in a Limited Company.