Posted: January 30, 2017
Regatta Organising Committee Chair
Closing Date for Applications - 24th February 2017
To Apply - E-mail a covering letter to email@example.com
The Domestic Regatta Organising Committee is a sub-committee of Scottish Rowing, the governing body of rowing in Scotland. The committee is responsible for all matters pertaining to the organising and running of two Scottish Rowing regattas at Strathclyde Park, being Strathclyde Park Regatta and Scottish Championships which take place in April and June respectively.
As the Regatta Organising Committee Chair you are accountable to the Board of Scottish Rowing and responsible for ensuring that the Committee organises and delivers regattas at Strathclyde Park to time, within budget and to a quality and level of safety that meets or exceeds the expectations and needs of all involved. You will work with a team of experienced volunteers who form the committee, other volunteers from the Scottish Rowing community and Scottish Rowing staff members.
This is a voluntary role.
Ideally, you’ll need to be:
• Experienced with running regattas or event management
• Familiar with the Scottish Rowing Rules of Racing and Scottish Rowing Policies
• Aware of the competition structure in Scotland
• Able to manage a team and delegate where appropriate
• Good planning and organisational skills
• Able to produce and work to budgets
• Able to work as part of a team or on your own
• Strong attention to detail
• Familiar with HSE guidance and event management
• Comfortable with working on various Microsoft applications and data management systems
What you will do:
• Chair the Regatta Organising Committee meetings and lead the planning, organisation and running of the regattas
• Manage the committee and ensure it has the right mix of skills and experience
• Be responsible for the preparation and management of the event budget
• Liaise with North Lanarkshire Council re operational matters relating to the running of the regattas (usually 2/3 times a year).
• Co-ordinate with other partners involved in the running of the regattas
• Attend the regatta draws and the regattas as Chair to provide leadership on the day.
• Provide periodic reports to the Board of Scottish Rowing
• Any other tasks that may be deemed appropriate for this post by Scottish Rowing
How much time will it take?
This role will require regular input throughout the year with committee meetings (typically four per year), correspondence with various external bodies (suppliers etc.) plus occasional meetings with North Lanarkshire Council and Scottish Rowing.
It will also require two full weekends a year at Strathclyde Park Regatta and the Scottish Rowing Championships.
In addition you will be involved in producing the race draw which is normally a full day the weekend before each event and in preparation work during the 2 weeks before each event (much by email correspondence).
What you’ll get out of it:
Experience in organising large scale events. Networking with other organisations involved in running such events at Strathclyde Park. Working with a strong dedicated team.